Friday 20 May 2016

Rosefinch

The weather felt good today with continued southerly winds, overcast skies and rain in the air. I just had the chance for some morning bird around Oslo but it was nice to see that others had five Broad-billed Sandpipers at Kurefjorden (where I had expected them yesterday but had found none, zero, sweet F.A) so my prediction was just a day out.
I had a hope that Østensjøvannet would be heaving with hirundines, Black Terns and Little Gulls but the rain had not been heavy enough so I had to be content with Swallows, Swifts and a single Sand Martin. Passerines were well represented though and in a small area I had a singing Red-backed Shrike, Wheatear, Whinchat, Yellow Wag, Reed Warbler Garden Warbler and Whitethroat. Two newly fledged Grey Wagtails being fed by their parents were unexpectedly early.
In Maridalen I was hoping for Common Rosefinch. I heard the song straightaway but this came from a mimicking Whinchat. I soon heard the song again from another area and this time without any interludes of more typical Whinchat song and eventually got my eyes on a fine red Rosefinch! I had two red males in total and also 3 males and a female Whinchat.

singing male Common Rosefinch (rosenfink) in Maridalen - the second bird
the first bird eating a seed


note the 2 ticks (flått) under the bill










male Red-backed Shrike (tornskate) Østensjøvannet
Whinchats (buskskvett) from Maridalen - a female on the left

Common Whitethroat (tornsanger)
Garden Warbler (hagesanger)






 

No comments:

Post a Comment