Monday 26 March 2012

Steller's Eider video

Here is a video I took of a flock of Steller's Eider in Kiberg Harbour.

 Unfortunately I didn't get to film them diving which is quite a sight. The whole flock normally dives as one and they resurface at great speed and pop out of the water like a cork. Steller's Eider really is a marvelous bird. It is an incredible looker and occurs in remote areas of outstanding natural beauty - surely a candidate for my favourite bird.

Today, back in Oslo, I only had time for a quick trip to Maridalen but quite productive it was too. A flock of 55 Pink-footed Geese flying north was incredibly early although the migration actually started on Thursday when the first flocks were reported on their way north from Denmark.
My first Mistle Thrushes of the year included a flock of 10 flying north and one singing. The local male Goshawk was displaying over the area and an early Buzzard didn't necessarily look like he was passing through. A flyover Green Sandpiper appears to be only the second record so far this year in Norway and a Grey Wagtail was also a year tick. At least 4 Hawfinches were around the farmhouse at Nes with much song.
There is still little open water but the Whooper Swan pair is still present, 10 Goldeneyes were in full display and a male Goosander looked resplendent. Chaffinches are now common and I also had my first Brambling of the year for Maridalen. Still no flocks of Fieldfare or Redwing though.

Now that I am getting the hang of You Tube I have also uploaded a highlights video from my trip to Finnmark last year:

No comments:

Post a Comment