Tuesday 14 May 2019

More succesful Dale guiding


Another full days guiding today in Maridalen with a lot of good birds.

Highlights were singing Wood Warbler, Wryneck, Three-toed Woodpecker, Black Woodpeckers feeding young in the nest, Black and Red-throated Divers, Goshawk, and Common and Wood Sandpipers. The days headache was a warbler that I guess must just be a Willow with a strange song but you can judge yourself in the video. The bird looked like a Willow Warbler although was quite a "powerful" looking bird. The song resembled the start of Willow Warbler although wad louder and stronger and the end of the song was missing. I played Willow Warbler song which as you will see in the video caused the bird to come closer wing shivering. It did not sing in response and after I stopped the playback it carried on wing shivering for a bit before slowly starting to sing again with just a couple of notes and then taking quite a while to get into its full song. If it is not a Willow Warbler then I cannot find another species that it could be but a hybrid is obviously a possibility. And Greenish x Willow Warbler could possibly suit the song and plumage.

We started early hoping that would result in possibly hearing the Ortolan singing but that was the case although I am pretty sure I glimpsed the female. The Ring-necked has also gone so I may soon have Maridalen back to myself😊

I had no battery in the bazooka so it was just superzoom and lots of video today.

Willow Warbler with strange song:

Toad:

Black Woodpeckers:

Female Three-toed Woodpecker drumming:



1 comment:

  1. Your American client was probably more interested in the tufties, he hopefully has ring-necked on his list already!!

    ReplyDelete