Thursday 3 March 2016

Wet snow

It continued snowing until noon today and with temperatures hovering around zero it is wet, heavy and slippery snow.

Fornebu first thing was nearly a bird free zone. I had hoped that the snow would force the Bearded Tits to feed high up in the reeds and allow me to count them but despite it looking like there was a thick layer of snow at the base of the reeds none of the Beardies were visible although I did hear at least three. In the snowy I wasn’t expecting any new spring migrants but I did have a flock of 8 Skylark which were flying low over the fjord and surely wondering what on earth they were doing here.

In Maridalen there were again no Willow Tits but one of the feeding stations was alive with Blue and Great Tits which I spent some time photographing although the light was really not good enough.

Blue Tits (blåmeis)
bad light leads to slow shutter speeds and unexpected pictures
bread eating Blue Tit (blåmeis)

a ringed individual

Coal Tit (svartmeis)


Great Grey Shrike (varsler) still going strong although may struggle to find food in the snow




I had forgotten my mobile so it wasn't easy to take landscape pictures but here you get an idea of what it was like today

Great Tit (kjøttmeis)

Nuthatch (spettmeis)



Tree Sparrow (pilfink)

No comments:

Post a Comment