Wednesday 16 March 2016

Fornebu by foot

A car in for its MOT/EU test was a good reason to give Fornebu much more attention than it normally gets. Weather wise it was perfect to be out and about but birdwise it was slow going. Spring has made its mark though and there are now quite an array of birds singing.
Great and Blue Tits have been "singing" for a while with Yellowhammers, Greenfinches and Blackbirds joining last week. Today Robins also decided to join in and best of all Skylarks and Starlings which are now back on territory. Four Skylarks were singing in Nansenpark but I wonder if this will be their last year?
I had my first summer plumaged Black-headed Gulls of the year (also nice to hear them) and surprisingly three species of wader. Oystercatchers are now back in force and were flying around displaying but nine Lapwings on a small area of open mud were a surprise and I heard a flyover Ringed Plover. I have no way to prove it but I would bet these Lapwings are the Maridalen and Sørkedalen breeding birds waiting for the snow to melt on their chosen fields.

I had given up on the Beardies after no sight nor sound despite over two hours of trying but an elusive Lesser Spotted Woodpecker kept me in the area and then finally I heard one or two Bearded Tits. So still some hope they will stay and breed but looking less likely now I think.


A Small Tortoishell again today and also a day flying moth – an Orange Underwing which in flight looks confusingly like a Small Tortoiseshell.
still not ideal conditions for these Lapwings (vipe)


some nice reflections



Starlings (stær) are pretty smart birds

using its tongue when searching for food


this male Red-breasted Merganser (island) caught and swallowed a fair size fish. The sequence starts upper left



there was lots of Oystercatcher (tjeld) activity today including pairs mating

my first summer plumaged Back-headed Gull (hettemåke) of the year

stunning Stock Dove (skogdue)

A White-backed Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Orange Underwing (bjørkevårmåler)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment