Sunday 18 May 2014

Oslo guiding



This morning I guided Tom and Emily from Boston, USA.

We had great sunny weather and cooperative birds. Østensjøvannet was overflowing with birds and Great Crested Grebes (toppdykker), Coots (sothøne) and Mute Swans (knoppsvane) all had newly hatched young. We saw two tiny baby grebes riding on a parent’s back and being fed small fish by the other parent. We also had some Oslo rarities in the form of a pair of Pochard (taffeland) and a male Garganey (knekkand) as well as the smart looking if plastic Ruddy Shelduck.

Maridalen was also on form. One of the baby Tawny Owls (kattugle) showed exceptionally well and an adult was being heavily scolded by Blackbirds (svarttrost) but only showed briefly as it tried to flee. A singing Wood Warbler (bøksanger) was a welcome site and both Pied (svarthvit fluesnapper) and Spotted Flycatchers (gråfluesnapper)  showed well. We also saw many commoner species and had a constant chorus of singing birds. I dropped off two very satisfied birders at their hotel in time for lunch and in time for me to take the family to Tusenfryd amusement park where I received my annual reminder that I am not really as brave as I would like to think I am....

Today has proven to be a good day for birds in SE Norway. Although the White-winged Black Tern (hvitvingesvarttern) invasion that is flooding Sweden and Denmark with these beautiful birds has yet to reach Norway today was the day when Svellet shined. First two Caspian Terns (rovterne) were found and then people twitching these found a Great White Egret (egrethegre). I felt a bit of that old jealousy thing again - after all the attention I've given Svellet this spring I had hoped to be the one rewarded with the rarities but there is always tomorrow....Down in Østfold a Citrine Wagtail was found. I feel that tomorrow, when I will be out and about, will be even better!


Taking photos was number 1 priority today so I shot from the hip and the good birds did not get the photos they deserved.

pair of Pochard only the second time I've seen this species in Oslo


plastic (Ruddy) Shelduck

male Garganey - again only my second Oslo sighting

pair of Great Crested Grebes - a baby is visible on the back of the bird to the left


baby Coots




Wood Warbler

that baby owl again

No comments:

Post a Comment