Wednesday 11 November 2020

Pygmy Owl guiding in fog

 There was a lot of fog today and photography in the forest was the last thing on my mind but Norwegian photographer, Kai, wanted me to guide him to Pygmy Owl today (despite me suggesting to wait a day or two), so the forest it was. Luckily the fog wasn’t too thick so there was some visibility but it was wet and dark and apart from a Black Woodpecker we didn’t see a single bird on the 30 minute walk to where I intended to show Kai a Pygmy Owl. Arriving on site it wasn’t long before an owl sang it’s so called autumn song but it took a further 15 minutes or so to find the bird. Instead of perching in the open it decided to give itself up within the cover of some big old spruces and my few pictures convey perfectly well how dark it was. I left Kai with the bird and I’m looking forward to seeing the images he managed to take (if any are deemed good enough to publish).

I had a quick drive around Maridalen and my only reward was one of the Common Buzzards.

Target bird in the bag - Pygmy Owl (spurveugle)



One of the two Common Buzzards (musvåk) that is attempting to over winter in Maridalen.


No comments:

Post a Comment