Thursday 26 November 2020

Back lit

It was one of those lovely winter days with a crispness due to an overnight frost combined with no wind and blue skies. Although I think the overnight temperature only just nudged below zero it was cold and windless enough that puddles and more surprisingly the salt water bay of Koksa at Fornebu were frozen.

With such nice weather I knew that there would be a large turn out of photographers today. I reckoned that they have still not filled their boots with Hawkie so thought I would head instead to Fornebu. I had not expected to have the place to myself but was indeed luckily enough to. There are not a lot of birds there at the moment with this winter lacking any “invasion” species and a flock of 25 Common Redpolls was the largest I have seen this winter I think. I failed to find any Chiffchaffs (and their days must be numbered if there are still any around) but all the other special winter birds were present with Bearded Tit, Jack Snipe, Kingfisher, Little Grebe, Water Rail and Reed Bunting noted.

Unsurprisingly I spent time with the Bearded Tits seeing if I could improve on my back-lit photography skills. Early in the morning on a sunny day there is little option other than to take back-lit photos due to the geography of the site but I really think that with the right skills/settings/equipment that some exceptionally cool photos could be taken. When I read this I now can see that it sounds like I am becoming more togger than birder and this may be confirmed by the fact that twice recently I have, after 5-10 minutes walk from the car, discovered that I only have my camera with me and have forgotten my bins. An alternative explanation is that I’m losing it…

I did go into Maridalen on the way home where I had good views of a Hawk Owl which had at least 15 socially distanced and well-behaved camera toting admirers. Two Common Buzzards were up in the air together clearly enjoying the weather and the chance for a bit of soaring and thermalling.

I heard a via, via report that a Great Grey Owl has been spotted in the forest which isn’t surprising given the density of rodents and with luck snow (whenever it comes) may make them easier to find.

Does it work?





I think this Blue Tit (blåmeis) does work well


the two Common Buzzards (musvåk) in Maridalen today - note their very different plumages

and Hawkie

my Jack Snipe (kvartbekkasin) photos are not improving

nor are my Kingfisher (isfugl) shots - can you find it?



No comments:

Post a Comment