Tuesday 10 November 2020

Avoiding Hawkie

I joined forces with Anders for the first time in a while for a morning trip to Fornebu today which was a good bit of cold turkey for my Hawkie addiction.

There was no wind and it was an eerily quiet day with with very few birds to be seen or heard. The Bearded Tit pair showed well and seemed to be missing the company of more of their kin. We nearly had a Kingfisher fly into us and judging by the calls we could hear there were probably two of them present. At least three Water Rails revealed their presence by squealing from the reedbeds but no Chiffchaffs of any variety made their presence known and have probably now moved on or perhaps surcumbed to the cold and lack of food.

A search for snipe revealed no Common Snipe but a Jack Snipe flew up when Anders nearly trod on it and after I had just walked past it – my footprint was less than 30cm from where the bird flew up from. I had been walking so slowly and scanning the ground in front of me that I really kick myself for having missed the rare opportunity to see it on the ground at point blank range (it is beginning to be a long time since the last time).

male Bearded Tit (skjeggmeis)




female
Kingfisher (isfugl)



No comments:

Post a Comment