Wednesday 30 January 2019

More of the expected

At -10C It was slightly warmer today. Strangely enough this was the temperature no matter where I was today unless of course the thermometer in the car is up the creek.

At breakfast I could tell that the big garden still hadn’t food in its feeders as I had 40 House/Tree Sparrows and 3 Blackbirds in my garden. By lunchtime though they there were fewer birds and when I later allowed the Beast to sniff outside the fence of the big garden I could see that the feeders had just been filled and birds were coming back. I had the female Blackcap again and a pair of Collared Doves on my travels.

Elsewhere, at Østensjøvannet I had excellent views of the Water Rail which is eating food put out for it just a couple of metres from the path. A huge (ca.400) flock of Redpolls on a couple of feeders on a balcony(!) contained at least two arctic – what I would give for that balcony…

The Little Grebe was still going strong in Oslo Harbour and in Maridalen I spent some time photographing the birds at one of the feeders.

Blue Tit (blåmeis)

Coal Tit (svartmeis)

Great Tit (kjøttmeis)


the Maridalen Marsh Tit (løvmeis)
 
Willow Tit (granmeis)

Nuthatch (spettmeis)




arctic Redpoll (polarsisik) at Østensjøvannet

the same arctic on a feeder

a different arctic

just look at all those redpolls (there were 400 in total!)
Little Grebe (dvergdykker)

there is only a tiny area of open water left at Østensjøvannet and it was stuffed with 200 Mallards (stokkand) all hoping I had some bread


I tried to get arty by lowering the shutter speed

this Robin (rødstrupe) was eating a maggot that had been thrown out for the Water Rail


Water Rail (vannrikse)



here with a maggot



here eating porridge oats that I had thrown out




No comments:

Post a Comment