Friday 17 November 2017

London buses

You wait a year and then two arrive. On Thursday I discovered there are two Pygmy Owls in Maridalen and they have adjoining winter territories which bodes well for further sightings and perhaps a chance of breeding next year? Saying that though I am unsure of the sex of the birds. One has called but not sang a few times which I take to be a sign it is a female whilst the other bird gave the species autumn song a couple of times which I assumed would mean it is a male but upon reading up I see that both sexes apparently give the autumn song. At one point after I had used playback both birds were in the same tree and the presumed female (whose area we were in) chased off the other bird (which had flown a few hundred metres to be there) which then returned to its own territory but there was no big confrontation between the birds.


Today I spent some very quality time with the presumed female and even took my tripod with me so have taken some film of better quality than my usual offerings ;-) The other bird sang a couple of times from its territory but did not show.

Pictures and video from today (Friday)





I had the bird so close but in the shade that I was able to use the flash on the superzoom 



in sunlight with the bazooka

searching for mice

interested in tits - Blue ones that is





Pictures and video from Thursday






Maridalen Thursday morning

the presumed female in the same area as the bird I saw on Monday and Tuesday

same bird

and the possible male in same area as Wednesdays sighting

same bird

2 comments:

  1. Great account of the owls ,2 together is great!Some quality images too simon.

    ReplyDelete