Sunday 26 June 2016

Summer Holidays

The summer holidays have started and as tradition dictates we are in Beitostølen. Up on Valdresflya there is little snow but there is also little green vegetation and still ice on higher lakes. There is no sign of any rodents so it was therefore very surprising to have two pairs of Long-tailed Skuas. One pair were flying around in some sort of courtship display but I cannot see it possible for them to breed here this year. They spent most of their time walking around in marshy sreas seemingly looking for food like worms as gulls would do.
Apart from the skuas I had incredibly few birds yesterday evening but the time of the day may have played a part. I heard and saw flyover Dotterel but didn't see any waders on the deck. Due to the ice ducks were also in short supply but I did see see two male Long-tailed Ducks. The only passerine I noted was a single Mipit and I had no raptors. Another visit to different areas earlier in the day should be more productive and I need to get some pictures of those skuas which I just had scope views of yesterday.

The day ended with a trip to the Great Snipe lek and for the first time Jr joined me. There were only five males leking but they were quite active and I reckon I've got some good video with the superzoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment