Saturday 12 May 2012

Svellet

I write this feeling exhausted - birding really is an extreme sport!
Up at 0430 for a pre-breakfast trip to Svellet, Nordre Øyeren with Per Christian. My hope (as always) was that we would find something rare amongst all the waders. I was to be disappointed but the sheer number of birds meant that it was still a great birding experience. The water level has only risen slightly so there is still a good amount of mud at the northern end. Wood Sandpipers still number around 500 but Greenshank have fallen to around 60.  Best of the bunch were four Bar-tailed Godwits and a single completely black Spotted Redshank. Supporting cast was 7 Dunlin, 18 Ringed Plovers, a Little Ringed Plover, 20 Ruff, 12 Redshank, 4 Curlew, 5 Whimbrel, 35 Oystercatcher and 6 Common Sandpipers.
It would be nice to turn up something scarce and I am not fussy: I would be happy with an Avocet or Pectoral Sandpiper.

Storms from the south west are forecast for Monday. If I get the chance then I hope that Brentetangen can offer me a Manx Shearwater and a few skuas.

No comments:

Post a Comment