Wednesday 17 July 2024

Relationship counselling

 Well, that was Wednesday.

 My attempts to form a relationship with Gressholmen are teaching me much more about myself than a psychologist ever has and it is much cheaper too! I clearly deal with rejection quite a lot better than I though, and perhaps should, and I am a sucker for punishment who just keeps going back for more. Four visits to in the course of a week has to be some sort of a record which Fru Gressholmen and the bird gods have to reward. I am a simple man to please and just need a Spotted Redshank or a Ruff..

 This morning’s visit in the obligatory rain on the 07:30 ferry gave me 3 Redshank, 2 Greenshank and 2 Common Sandpiper as the only indication of wader migration. Putting my naive optimist hat on (which I suit quite well) then the increase in Redshank numbers is a very positive sign and can be extrapolated to show that the coming weeks have much to offer.

It is still early in the autumn migration for adult birds and the end of July should be a lot better.

 Some good news was that I saw two juvenile Ringed Plovers with their ever vigilant parents and they are nearly fully grown. Three were seen soon after hatching but then just one has been noted although I was quite sure the adults behaviour meant that was at least one other young hiding somewhere which has now been confirmed.

 Beast walking at Fornebu gave me a fly over Yellow Wagtails which goes into the notebook as my first autumn passerine migrant of the year.

 

I have no pictures from today but have this from a walk in the forest last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment