Monday 15 July 2024

Coping with rejection

As a wise (apparently) man once said «you have to be in it to win it». My hopes for yesterday it turned out were not misplaced just mis-timed. Halvard visited Gressholmen 6 hours after me and had double digit counts of both Wood Sand and Redshank and visitors to Årnestangen had a good selection of waders despite high water levels meaning hardly any exposed mud.

I therefore put the additional disappointment of the football behind me and decided to give Gressholmen another chance. I didn’t wake until 08:30 so hopefully the extra sleep would leave me mentally stronger to face the rejection that was sure to meet me. But, hey, maybe Gressholmen rewards persistence?

 

If she does reward persistence then it may be more than I can offer. At least a Redshank had joined its Green cousin and there were 2 Dunlin resting on rocky islets (not feeding on the mudflats) but I clearly need to reassess this relationship. The fact that I was not the only birder (we were three) who has been taken in by Gressholmen’s seductive promises perhaps makes me feel a bit less foolish..

Wednesday??


the view from Lindøya looking north with rain over Oslo. Perfect conditions you (I) would think for a wader fest. The rocks in the water are Galteskjær where there was at least a Dunlin


this photogenic Common Tern (makrellterne) was the only bird I took a photo of


note that the tip of the upper mandible is broken, perhaps from hitting a stone whilst diving for food?


the island which 5 days ago had nesting Black-headed Gulls and Common Terns now only had these two pairs of Common Terns which were not necessarily nesting. There are still plenty of feeding adult Common Terns around but I am not sure where or if they are nesting. In Nordre Øyeren a couple of days ago I saw already fully fledged young

A new species in Maridalen! This Cockatiel had be braking to a screeching halt but will not be featuring on any lists. It was calling a lot and clearly not quite at home





Red-backed Shrikes (tornskate) haven't been very showy this summer in Maridalen but have young to feed now and are more obvious




No comments:

Post a Comment