Tuesday 31 January 2012

Rough-legged Buzzards

It is starting to get cold and the forecast is for as low as -16C at the weekend. I had a trip to Kurefjorden today but despite there being little wind viewing condtions were difficult with a heat haze(!) over the water.
Highlight was undoubtedly 8 Rough-legged Buzzards on the islands at the mouth of the fjord. What they are feeding on I am not sure but there is clearly enough food for them. One island which is 1km long and about 500m wide had 5 Rough-leggeds, an adult female Goshawk and 2 Ravens on it. The birds spent most of their time sitting with little sign of active hunting. One bird flew close over me but of course I blew what could have been a fantastic photo opportunity. Here is the best shot I managed aswell as a picture of 2 together.
Add caption



Otherwise little to see with no divers and just 2 Great Grey Shrikes although both were at new sites for me. 11 Common Seals showed well with 10 hauled out on a rock close to land and a single in the water. There were a couple of creamy coloured youngsters.

Common Seals hauled out

No comments:

Post a Comment