Wednesday 2 March 2011

Collared Dove

Collared Dove is now a fairly scarce species in the Oslo area and there is only one site that has been getting regular records this winter. Seeing as I needed it for my year list I took a slight detour on the way to work and found a group of 21 birds. From what I can see this is the largest group seen around Oslo for at least of couple of years and beats the total of 6 or 7 birds I have previously seen in the whole of Norway!
I assume that this gathering contained pretty much the entire Oslo population. They were in Marienslyst park where locals put out food for the birds so this has presumeably kept them alive through the cold winter. At least 3 birds were singing despite the zero temperature, snow and overcast conditions.
The year list has now risen to impressive 56 species - pitiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment