If you think I am enjoying too many meetings with old acquaintances at the moment then I apologise and give prior warning that also my next post will be of the reunion kind.
A trip to Årnestangen yesterday was of the successful type
as can be seen by my eBird checklist not least because for the second time this
year I got to have prolonged and repeated views of a juvenile Pallid Harrier.
During the course of my visit I saw it (assuming it was the same bird) on six
occasions and it came close and some awesome photos could have been taken had I the skill and equipment for the job but as I was
reliant on the superzoom to create my own digital memories I concentrated on
catching video but the bird flies too quickly so the results are not that satisfactory
and do not do the bird justice.
Long video of juvenile Pallid Harrier (steppehauk)
and a juvenile Hen Harrier (myrhauk)
![]() |
| the best photo I took of the Pallid which at least leaves little doubt to both species and age of said species |
In between visits from the Pallid I spent a lot of time
peering through my scope at a distant wader. It was slightly smaller than the
Dunlins it was mixing with and appeared to have a clean white belly and a well
delineated streaky chest. I really tried hard to turn it into a Baird’s
Sandpiper (gulbrystsnipe) but in the end came, under a bit of duress, to the
conclusion that it was just an odd Dunlin. There was nothing in its jizz or
movements to distinguish it from the accompanying Dunlins and I think there was
some faint streaking on the belly. This video accurately conveys the distant viewing
conditions and perhaps helps to explain why I found it so difficult to make an
ID.
![]() |
| Ruff (brushane) on the right and a wader that I spent far too long looking at on the left |
A Great Snipe that flew up in front of me and showed well in
flight means I have finally seen the species this year but it is hardly the
same as watching them on their lek site. Just need to see Sanderling now..
![]() |
| only my second sighting of Grey Plover (tundralo) this year but they at least showed very well. In the video there is also a Bar-tailed Godwit (lappspove) |



No comments:
Post a Comment