Sunday, 20 September 2026

Wrong place, right time

This weekend my phone has been pinging with messages of rare birds either on Værøy or in Oslo. These would normally be the two places where I would find myself in the middle of September but this weekend has seen my on a cabin trip in the mountains with non-birding mates.


Q: What did I see?

A: Siberian Jay and little else



Q: What did I not see?

A: in Oslo a not particularly strong southerly wind pushed in Manx Shearwater, Arctic Skua and Fulmars all of which are great species on the fjord.

On Værøy they’ve been wading through Yellow-browed Warblers and for spice have had Red-flanked Bluetail, Citrine Wag, Barred Warbler, Turtle Dove and the island’s first Nutcracker. Nothing mega but enough to make most birders very happy.


It is Moose mating season and this male was grunting and following a female

Siberian Jay (lavskrike)


No comments:

Post a Comment