The sightings and occasional thoughts of an English birder in Oslo
Wednesday, 23 September 2026
Yellow-browed Warbler reunion
Ever since my first autumn trip to Værøy in 2012 the sound of and then sight of Yellow-browed Warbler has been an essential and longed for part of my birding year.
Even the years when I wasn’t able to visit Værøy I have managed to see and hear the species until last year when I drew a blank. I assumed that my planned visit to Værøy in a weeks time would remedy that this year but yesterday I had a far, far, better blank buster.
I have had the “tsuit” call of YbW on my mind for the last two weeks and have had my ears peeled in the never ending hope of actually hearing one. Finally I was no longer hearing it inside my head - the sound was real and coming in through my ears. AND I was in Maridalen where the species has never been recorded before AND there was not one but two birds calling AND there was even some (sub)song AND I saw at least one of them well AND I got photos.
Værøy will have to produce something a Cosmic Mind F*cker (as the late, great Bill Oddie termed it) to beat a YbW IN THE DALE!!!
This was my third YwB in Oslo but was a new species for Maridalen taking the Maridalen list to 229 species of which I have now seen 214.
This video has the call, of one and then two birds and the subsong can also be heard
photographing it with the superzoom high up in the trees was nearly a challenge beyond my abilities but eventually some record, and even slightly artistic shots were bagged
Yellow-browed Warbler (gulbrynsanger) record shot
do you spot it?
one of three Black-throated Divers (storlom) on the lake. This was the only one that had started moulting
No comments:
Post a Comment