Monday 2 September 2024

Late summer bopping

The weather has continued to be conducive to raptor watching in Maridalen and I hoped to be able to pin down, at least roughly, where the Honey Buzzard has a nest but despite seeing and hearing him I have come no closer. However, I have found photos of the same bird showing quite how large a range he covers in his search for food. He must even at times fly very close to the nest I follow showing how different pairs share the same feeding territories. Given how widely he travels though then I find it strange that I have not knowingly seen “my” male anywhere but at/over the nest.

By looking at my pictures and other posted online I have found out that the recent male is the same as the one I saw skydancing on 26May and which has been seen by Stig over Tonsenhagen (SE of Maridalen) on 17August and yesterday and was also seen on Friday south of Sognsvann which was the same day I had two sightings in Maridalen. This bird can be individually identified by its almost perfect plumage with no missing feathers but some very specific damage to the primary tips of the left wing allow it to be recognised with certainty.

the male in Maridalen on Friday. I have circled the specific feather damage that can also be seen on the photos I have linked to plus in my photo from the last few days on this blog
the lines at the top show how I saw the bird on Friday, the red cross is where is was seen the same day and the blue cross where Stig has also seen him. In the bottom left is the scale for 1km so he moves a long way


on Friday he returned calling and I heard him from over 1km


my first juvenile also on Friday. He appeared from the same area where the male had flown to but continued flying south on his own so was I believe a migrant


this Hobby (lefrkefalk) showed well

another Hobby trying to catch something

juvenile Sparrowhawk (spurvehauk)


an Osprey (fiskeørn) at Fornebu on Friday

and one of three in Maridalen the same day. This a juvenile I believe

and an adult yesterday which flew a long way north with this fish so clearly has young on the nest still


a migrating Kestrel (tårnfalk)
Yellow Wagtail (gulerle)

my first Whooper Swan (sangsvane) in Maridalen for a while


Water Rail (vannrikse) and Moorhen (sivhøne) at Fornebu

the Water Rail trying to hide



this Moorhen has been alone since it was very small but has raised itself well





No comments:

Post a Comment