Friday, 9 October 2026

Can you guess which reunion?

Today I had my first sighting of a species since March 1st and early/mid October is an expected date for a reunion after which  I hope for regular sightings through the winter - but what species?

It is a fierce hunter despite its tiny size - it is of course a Pygmy Owl.

I have been keeping my eyes open for one perched openly for a few weeks now but this one revealed its presence by calling and then proved a real bugger to find before finally it was just there on a branch half way up a dead spruce and surprisingly well camouflaged. It then gave a very good showing of itself and was perhaps interested in the presence of the Beast but his impatience was a real annoyance to me.


my first Pygmy Owl (spurveugle) of the autumn. They are now moving away from their breeding sites deep in the forests for winter feeding grounds often close to the city






No comments:

Post a Comment