Tuesday 6 February 2024

Hazel Grouse and Moose

 Temperatures have dropped to -15C again but the days are now noticeably longer and we are marching towards March and the first arrivals of migrants.

I have some guiding for Hazel Grouse coming up so went looking for my bird yesterday. I located him at the first attempt but with the snow in the forest being knee deep it was a bit of a slog to get close to him. I also made a lot of noise in the process but this bird is something special and just hung around as I slogged through the snow. Nutcrackers were also in the area but otherwise the forest was quiet.

Maridalen is not throwing up any new birds although the Great Grey Shrike shows every day and Moose are also often to be seen.

male Hazel Grouse (jerpe)





Nutcracker (nøttekråke)

Moose running over Maridalsvannet



No comments:

Post a Comment