Friday 2 February 2024

Brunnich's Guillemot

On Wednesday I had that much anticipated and rarely occurring event that is an Oslo tick. Never-the-less it didn’t leave me feeling in an especially celebratory mood because the views were not that great and the photographic evidence leads much too be desired. The bird in question was my first Oslo Brunnich’s Guillemot. This is a species that breeds in the far north of Norway but is a very infrequent sighting anywhere in the country away from the breeding sites as its wintering areas are far out in the Arctic Ocean. On Wednesday the fjord was very calm off Huk, Bygdøy and lots of ice had formed. The result was that birds were easy to see on the sea and also concentrated in a smaller area than normal. The recent southerly winds had pushed in quite good numbers of Guillemots which were now easily outnumbering the Razorbills which had previously (and unusually) been the commonest auk this winter. Most of the auks were resting in small groups on the open water but a few were feeding on their own amongst the ice. One of these birds, and a relatively close one, immediately caught my eye as it had a lot of black in the face. I had already noted an adult Guillemot in summer plumage (most of the birds that get pushed in are immatures that do not acquire summer plumage) but this bird was different. It was a stubbier, more angular bird than a Common Guillemot and seemed to have cleaner, white flanks. This was interesting and my thoughts went immediately to Brunnich’s. I cranked up the magnification on the scope and immediately felt able to confirm that it was one even though range and lighting were not the best. I could just about make out the diagnostic white line over the short bill but in the only picture I managed that shows the bird in any way that might approach a record shot it is not visible. It started diving and swimming away from me and joined a small group of Common Guillemots on the open water. This group contained an adult in summer plumage and he Brunnich’s was clearly separable even at long range due to its different jizz with a shorter bill and more angular head. Also the white flanks (lacking obvious barring) were visible.

So, a tick but not of the “here look at my great picture of it” variety.

 

In Maridalen Brambling was a new bird for the year and the Grey-headed Woodpecker turned up again after an absence of 3 weeks or so and finally showed in nice sunlight. I also saw my first Green Woodpecker of the year (had previously only heard them calling) with a “singing” female. With all the snow I have been looking for mammal tracks in the snow. I have seen numerous Moose and Roe Deer, Red Squirrel, Beaver, presumed fox and Pine Marten. Pine Marten is a species I have only ever seen once but I think is a reasonably common species around Oslo and perhaps even in the city.

Brunnich's Guillemot (polarlomvi)...

Maridalen's female Grey-headed Woodpecker (gråspett) with the red feathers in the crown is still here



and a female Green Woodpecker (grønnspett)

my first Brambling (bjørkefink) of the year

and some Bullfinches (dompap) which seem to be very numerous this winter

tracks of Pine Marten (mår)


and droppings


and some random shots of Maridalen in the snow




No comments:

Post a Comment