Wednesday 2 February 2022

Pure Jack Snipe

 Simon’s Jack Snipe blog continues with a post that has many pictures that are very similar to all the other pictures I have posted over the last three weeks. This is developing into a new addiction akin to Hawkie and Piney although of a species that while far more of a challenge to find is really far less exciting. It is the challenge of finding it (and there being so little else to see at the moment) that draws me back day after day plus the hope that I will get to see it feeding. We had a return to proper winter weather yesterday and today with temperatures well below zero and fresh snow. I hoped that this would produce more birds in the smelly stream but each day this week I have only seen seen a single bird and I feel confident it is the same individual. It does therefore look like the other 3 Jack Snipe and 2 Common Snipe that were present after the previous snow fall three weeks ago have now either moved on or perished.

As I now accept my new addiction I will not try to hide by posting pictures of anything else and will just showcase the new Piney on the stream.


2 Feb:

Jack Snipe(kvartbekkasin) close up




focus on the feet



1 Feb:

unusual to see it exposed like this - note the snow settling on it





31 Jan:

note the scapulars sticking out





No comments:

Post a Comment