Saturday 19 February 2022

Hazel Grouse in the snow

I was in need of some forest therapy last week and Thursday looked to be a marvelous day for it: cold but not too cold (-1C), no wind, crisp snow and blue skies. There are always a number of species that I am hoping to find but Hazel Grouse crowns the list and after I found “my” pair in snow laden trees I had little time for looking for anything else. This pair really are something quite special and show little concern over my presence although normally the female keeps her distance. This time though she fed trustingly in a tree above me and allowed me to get my best ever pictures of her feeding. They have long ago eaten the catkins in their favourite alder trees and were nibbling on buds which I assume are much less nutritious. The male also fed on the ground where he was eating the bare stalks of blueberry plants although I assume these were shoots.

The male sung at times and spent over an hour sat in the same place. I am not sure why but wonder if the food needs lots of time to be digested.

True to my normal style I present you with far too many photos as I can't decide which are best and also a couple of videos. First the long Directors Cut and then the 1 minute version.





the male Hazel Grouse (jerpe) singing








the female who showed unusually well






feeding on thin branches is a feat of balance





quite impressive feathering on the back

this is where he sat for an hour but always with his back to me

this was the only angle I managed from the side



singing



No comments:

Post a Comment