Thursday 1 October 2020

Owls still going strong

 My “Fabulous Four” have generated some local guiding interest so I was keen for today’s family walk to be in their hood so that I could keep tabs on my birds. We didn’t get to walk the whole circuit so didn’t get to grouse or pecker country but I was able to confirm that Hawkie and Pygmy are still going strong which bodes well 😊

Hawkie was getting grief from some late Grey Wagtails which I can’t believe is a two bird combo that has been observed very many times previously.

I made another attempt for Tengmalm’s Owl last night but it was a bit too windy so I gave quite quickly but still have faith.

Hawk Owl (haukugle)


with 2 Grey Wagtails (vinterle) that were not happy with its presence





and my Pygmy Owl (spurveugle)

they can sometimes show short "ears"

singing


both this Black Woodpecker and a Sparrowhawk mobbed the Hawk Owl but I failed to digitally capture it

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures of these great owls and black woodpecker. Every blog is a pleasure to read.
    Kind regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto!! Especially when I don't think I am going to be in Oslo in October as I had hoped. Covid has screwed up another trip. 😡

    ReplyDelete