Sunday 11 October 2020

Late dragons

Despite the cold weather it is still warm and we have not had any overnight frosts. This means that when the sun does shine that there are still a few dragons and butters to take advantage of it. Over the last few days I have seen Brimstone (sitronsommerfugl) and an unidentified white butterfly plus Migrants Hawker (septemberlibelle) and Common Darter (senhøstlibelle). I also had a very large moth fly over me which from what I could make out of colouration may have been a Clifton nonpareil (what a fantastic name and far beats its alternative name of Blue Underwing. The Norwegian name is blatt ordensbånd).

I may well not see any more butterflies this year but there will probably still be dragonflies for a couple of weeks if it remains warm and we have some sun.

 Birding wise, I took a trip into the forest on Friday. This resulted in a close encounter with a Hazel Grouse (jerpe) but the Beast put pad to any photos and a slightly more longer range encounter with a Hawk Owl which was not at all bothered by my canine companion.

After Thursday’s large passage of Common Buzzards I was not expecting to see anymore in Maridalen but I did have a single bird on Friday but a pair of Hooded Crows were trying their best to get it to leave.


Common Darters (senhøstlibelle), although mating they did not have much energy

a Migrant Hawker (septemberlibelle)

Hawkie


this is the shape I scan the tree tops looking for

a new addition to the occasional series "Simon takes pictures of birds with famous Oslo landmarks in the background"

Common Buzzard (musvåk) and Hooded Crow (kråke)







No comments:

Post a Comment