Thursday 17 September 2020

The Return of The Hawkie

I’ve been waiting for something good to blog about before bumping the Hazel Grouse down the page. Visits in Maridalen and the forest the last two days didn’t reveal anything worthy enough (although seeing the Whooper Swan family flying for the first time was quite a sight) but today I had my first encounter with Hawkie of the autumn and that is definitely worth writing about even if these days I have gained control of my previous addiction.

It has taken me four goes to find this bird and seeing it hunting in thinned our forest rather than on open clearings may explain why it has been hard to find.

I heard a Hazel Grouse today and am guiding tomorrow to see and photograph this species so fingers crossed for a successful outing.

Normally I would be on my way to Værøy at this time of the year but it doesn’t look like I will be able to this year which is an enormous shame and is making me feel quite depressed. Luckily though the weather forecast for this year does not look good at all (unless one believes a yank will turn up) so hopefully I won’t miss too much.

The one and only Hawkie!


I never manage good flight photos even though I stand there waiting for the bird to fly. All the flight feathers seem to be fresh and of the same generation which probably means this is a 1cy bird






both Nutcrackers, Hooded Crows and Great Spotted Woodpeckers gave the owl grief

this would be quite a site in the UK 😂


I had three flocks of Long-tailed Tits (stjertmeis) today including one with 16 birds so they are possibly on the move

Black-throated Diver (storlom) family still on Maridalsvannet

the Whooper Swan (sangsvane) family already seem to be accomplished fliers. Only one adult flew with the young and I wonder if the other is still moulting. I noticed the same 2 years ago that only one adult accompanied the young on their first flights and maybe it is planned that the parents don't moult together such that one is always able to fly



the other adult


the whole family


No comments:

Post a Comment