Friday 4 September 2020

Kingfisher again in the Dale

 I’ve been loyal to the Dale for the last two days and have been rewarded for it.

 In total I managed 6 species of raptor with Hobby, Rough-legged Buzzard and 2 late Ospreys complementing the local breeding species of Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Goshawk. A showy Bluethroat topped the passerine records but one and quite possibly two Kingfishers stole the show.


I heard the Kingfisher(s) (isfugl) and had them flashing past me in flight a number of times before I finally saw one perched. It is not possible to age/sex this bird

as soon as I got the camera on it then it flew off

but I tracked it down again just  for it to fly off yet again as I pressed the shutter button....

Bluethroat (blåstrupe) with Maridalens medieval church ruins in the background

I actually planned this picture but should have had a different aperture to give more depth of field





posing with a Reed Bunting (sivspurv)

an adult Black-throated Diver (storlom) already starting to moult into winter plumage

Hobby (lerkefalk) I have seen quite a few Hobbies this week but surprisingly all have been adults

Osprey (fiskeørn) - 2 birds headed south together. Both were calling but one this was making a lot of noise. I think it is an adult male but wouldn't bet the house on it

a very distant Rough-legged Buzzard (fjellvåk).... It was hunting over forested hills which suggests a lot of rodents and gives hope of owls this winter

No comments:

Post a Comment