Thursday 23 July 2020

The mountains revisited

We are back home in Oslo after an uneventful drive home. I haven't got the energy to sit in front of the computer and go through my unprocessed photos and videos from the last 3 weeks but luckily I have a pot I prepared earlier but never got around to publishing:

------------------

I have now had a chance to go properly go through all my photos and videos from the long weeked at the end of May in the mountains. I have already posted in detail on the Great Snipe so here are the other species.



up close to a singing male Bluethroat (blåstrupe)




Cuckoo (gjøk)

I only saw three Dotterel (boltit) and none were close to the road

Golden Plover (heilo) and Dunlin (myrsnipe) sharing the same snow free ground
Meadow Pipits (heipiplerke) were numerous and were also feeding on the snow where there were a number of wind blown insects

Rock Ptarmigans (fjellrype) were numerous



and lower down where there was dwarf birch and willows were a few Willow Grouse (lirupe) which has a redder plumage

Shore Larks (fjellerke) were back and singing




despite there being few raptors (just a couple of Kestrels) this Short-eared Owl was on territory so must have found enough rodents. The video shows it flying around on slow wing beats which I took to be display








Temminck's Stints on the road



No comments:

Post a Comment