Wednesday 8 July 2020

Holiday update

Time for a blog update!

We are now at our cabin near Bodø, north of the Arctic Circle. It is sunny at times and 15C feels nice here but we came a week late for the really good weather although it may get up to 20C next week.

Birding wise our trip up was uneventful although the lack of raptors was noteworthy with just 3 Kestrels and a Peregrine noted on the whole 1200km trip!

I did have a some good butterfly action at one stop and have also had a good session today near the cabin. I have plans (weather permitting) to have a trip to search for some of the northern specialities that can be seen in the mountains on the Swedish border.

I made trips to the fjord near Fauske yesterday evening and very early this morning but was a bit disappointed. There were over 1000 ducks (500 each of Velvet Scoter and Common Eider with a few Common Scoter and Long-tailed Ducks) but this year nearly everything is very distant. I did find the male Surf Scoter which was discovered a couple of weeks ago but for the second year running I can’t find Knobby. A female King Eider was a new bird (normally there are 1-2 males) but there were no interesting divers or grebes.

I am blogging from my phone so apologise for any formatting issues. I also can’t embed videos so you will have to clink on the links.

I have also spent some time looking at orchids and as usual when I am here just get confused. I’ve definitely seen 4 different species/hybrids/forms/morphs but maybe as many as 9. Maybe this year I’ll get to the bottom of it and maybe even blog about it.

A video of the Surf Scoter https://youtu.be/Wa_R4NJSMm8

And of a Musk Ox we saw on the drive up https://youtu.be/PnQIyHs9KkM




Male Surf Scoter (brilleand) probably a returning bird (although not seen every year)

For the first time Pied Flycatchers still have young in one of the nest boxes rather than them already having fledged by the time we get here
Not often I see a male Moose

And now some butterflies...and a dragonfly...and a moth


Mountain Burnet (Fjellbloddråpsvermer)

Brilliant Emerald (Glansmetallibelle)

Cranberry Fritillary (myrperlemorvinge)

Northern Brown Argus (sankthansblåvinge)
Moorland Clouded Yellow (myrgulvinge)

Purple-edged Copper (Purpurgullvinge)

Dewy Ringlet (Fjellringvinge)

Another Moorland Clouded Yellow that has survived an encounter with a bird

No comments:

Post a Comment