Sunday 27 October 2019

Still taiga titbits in Oslo


The need to walk both Mrs OB and the Beast (never to be confused with each other 😉 ) has seen nice walks in the forest both days this weekend and it has been a win, win, win situation. Lots of walking has been put under the belt and the alpha male in the pack (that still being me although I believe my days are numbered…) has had some good taiga birding as a welcome bonus.

Yesterday I had distant views of Pine Grosbeaks but excellent views of a male Two-barred Crossbill and today I had point blank views of a Pine Grosbeak. Today’s experience was rather comical. I discovered the bird and took photos of it whilst the rest of the pack continued walking. Knowing that I shouldn’t push my luck I only gave my self 5 minutes with the bird before hurrying on. I wanted to send out a message about the bird but couldn’t find my phone! I knew I had my phone whilst watching the bird so went back to the area where Piney was still gorging itself on rowan berries. I searched and searched but couldn’t find it. All this time the bird was feeding just above my head and if I had had my phone I could have taken a selfie with it at about 1 meters range! I stopped a passing man and asked him to phone my phone but as suspected I had the sound turned off so that didn’t help… After half an hour a couple passed and I asked if I could borrow a phone to call the missus. As suspected she was not happy but was more worried than anything as by this stage as she had tried in vain to call me many times…. After agreeing that the pack would come back to me I then found the phone (and all the missed calls and messages) and was able to rush up to them.

A good walk ensued after that and we all laughed at what an idiot I was… and I couldn’t agree more. But the photos have turned out very nicely 😊

Pine Grosbeak (konglebit) today
male Two-barred Crossbill (båndkorsneb) - the orangey feathers around the head are probably a sign of immaturity


the 2BC with a male Parrot Crossbill (furukorsnebb)

Pine Grosbeak with a rowan berry. They do not eat the skin of the berries meaning it is all quite messy. Thrushes and Waxwings just swallow the berry whole

even though I didn't take a selfie with my phone I did get pretty close!
 

I tried to take back-lit photos but it didn't work as well as I hoped







what goes in must also come out...




1 comment: