Wednesday 3 May 2017

Jack Snipe

The weather is a bit odd. It is hot but the wind is a bit cold and from the north and this combined with everything still being brown (we really need rain) probably accounts for a continued lack of obvious migration. New birds keep coming though. Today I crossed off Blackcap and Jack Snipe from yesterday’s list and in addition had Shoveler, Sand Martin and Lesser Whitethroat which were all new.

My new list of expected migrants is now: Redstart, Pied Flycatcher and House Martin from yesterday plus I will add Whinchat and Wryneck.

Today I gave the east side of Nordre Øyeren a proper grilling. On Monday Svellet had held 1400 Teal but today there were none. Wader numbers continue to rise although variety was less. Greenshank now numbered 72 and amongst them were 5 Redshank, 2 Ruff and a Spotted Redshank. There were lots of Teal to see in Merkja and Monsrudvika but 3 Shoveler amongst them were the only other ducks of interest.  Monsrudvika also held 60 Greenshank so numbers are beginning to build up nicely.

I had hoped that raptors would put on a show but was yet again disappointed (especially as I had a Kestrel low over the house at breakfast – a garden tick – and thought that might be a precursor to something big). During the day I did see seven species including a briefly glimpsed ringtail harrier that only had Hen vibes.


I had two Jack Snipe during the day one of which flew up only centimetres from my feet and flew so flutteringly at first that I wondered if I had actually trodden on it!

Jack Snipe (kvartbekkasin)

No comments:

Post a Comment