Friday 23 August 2024

Wader desperation

This week I have twice boarded the ferry to visit my two ladies of the Isles and both times it is Fru. Galteskjær that has delivered but the wares she puts on show are very meager. On Tuesday it was a single Oystercatcher... and on Wednesday a Redshank, 2 Ringed Plover and a Common Sandpiper.

In desperation today I abandoned Oslo and went to Årnestangen in the rain. There was more to see but it was hardly a succesful visit and there was such a turn around of birds that virtually every wader I saw either came or went in the time I was there. Checklist is here.

 

the view at Årnestangen this morning. Some nice areas with shallow water and mud/sand but disappointingly few birds

a Redshank on Fru. Galteskjær was my Oslo wader highlight this week

showing the luck involved in wader watching in Oslo the Redshank flew off soon after I found it and was joined by two Ringed Plovers (sandlo) that I had not previously seen

a pair of Common Terns (makrellterne) seem to be the only terns left in the Inner Oslofjord and this summer has I think been dire for breeding


this young bird at Maridalsvannet may well have hatched further inland at one of the few inland breeding sites


No comments:

Post a Comment