Wednesday 8 November 2023

Maridalen at its best

Birding and Maridalen never fail to surprise. Today I had agreed to meet Jack in the Dale to help him get a lifer in the form of a Grey-headed Woodpecker. I got there an hour before it turned out JD would be arriving so set about finding out what was around. At Nes I heard a call that I could not place and Meadow Pipit was the only thing I could think and saw a small bird on top of the red barn which had been favoured by the Grey-headed peckers on Monday. It was the right size for a Mipit but through the bins I could see it wasn’t and it took a few seconds for my brain to process the image and realise it was a Black Redstart! Only the fourth record in the Dale and the first in autumn this was a real surprise. It was calling a lot (a call I do not recall having heard before) and was clearly recently arrived and wondering what to do with itself. It soon disappeared but I heard a Gh Wood and decided to stay in that area until JD arrived.

Soon after though I spoke with Jr Jr who was not feeling well (first day back at school after a covid like cold) and agreed to go collect her. Driving out of Maridalen passing the bay at Kirkeby I glimpsed a large white bird in flight over the water. Whooper Swan would be the default bird but it was in a gliding flight coming into land on bowed wings and I had an idea it might be something far more interesting. Stopping the car where I could look over the bay my suspicions were confirmed – a Great White Egret! I only had time for a couple of pictures and to share the news as I couldn’t be late. Unfortunately though the bird did a quick bunk and only two others saw it before it headed north less than 5 minutes later.

I returned after I had been a good dad and met up with Jack who was not particularly impressed that I could show him none of the interesting birds I had seen before he got there. We hung around Nes hoping that a pecker would show but after a long time when I was starting to freeze (I never have the right clothing on despite living here for 20 years) we decided to get in the car and drive around a bit. Stopping at Kirkeby to see if the egret had returned – it hadn’t – we checked the area which has held two of Maridalen’s previous three Black Reds and sure enough it had eventually also attracted the fourth. A few other birders were able to connect with it and the Great Grey Shrike also showed. JD stayed in the Dale until quite late without seeing the pecker although others did and the rumour that a Jack a day keeps the birds away is gaining traction 😉

A trip out with the thermal camera last night revealed a Woodcock and a Common Snipe plus what I believe was a Jack Snipe but it flew off before I got to see it properly (which does count against it being a Jack though..) Also there were over 60 Mallard feeding on flooded stubble fields. During the day you are lucky to see a handful of Mallards in Maridalen and I believe the birds at night spend their daytimes on Akerselva in the city.

Great White Egrey (egretthegre) only the second record in the Dale and the best picture I could manage before having to hurry off

I did stop to snap this picture from the other side of the lake at a distance of about 1km

my first view of the Black Redstart (svartrødstjert) before I was really sure what it was

a bit closer and its identity became clear

it showed better later in the day at Kirkeby

photoshopped picture showing it from both sides

I am not confident to age/sex this bird but think the flight feathers look fresh which would suggest an adult female I think


in habitat


the Dale's Great Grey Shrike. It would be nice if the other Great Grey bird paid us a visit this winter




Common Snipe (enkeltbekkasin) from last nights thermalling

a Kingfisher (isfugl) from an otherwise uneventful visit to Fornebu yesterday

Grey-headed Woodpecker (gråspett) in Maridalen yesterday afternoon again favouring houses


notice its long tongue and that it has some debris on its bill afterwards. We can also just about see this is the bird with the red feathers in the crown


No comments:

Post a Comment