Tuesday 14 February 2023

Nocturnal Tawny Owls

Yesterday evening was cloud- and windless so felt like a good night to have my first nocturnal trip to Maridalen. With the thermal imager it becomes even more exciting now as I have a chance to see a bit of what is going on rather than just listen to it.

I was able to observe a pair of Tawny Owls that were singing in the same area that I discovered young just out of the nest last year so I will hopefully manage to find the nest this year. I also had another singing Tawny, a moose and a strange sound that baffled me although there was a consensus on Twitter that it was a fox.


I heard no other owls and there have been very few reports so far this year of singing owls anywhere in southern Norway but hopefully things will pick up as it is still very early in the season.

No pictures but three videos. The first from the  thermal imager shows flying Tawny Owls and the other two taken with the phone have the sounds of the Tawnies and the fox.





No comments:

Post a Comment