Monday 4 May 2020

May the 4th was with me - LESSER YELLOWLEGS

I’ve been whining a lot the last couple of days about how I am missing the good birds and the Bird Gods are not shining on me – I sound like a spoilt kid don’t I? Well, I’m not just spoilt I’m also a bit of a fool because the Bird Gods were indeed shining on me on both Saturday and Sunday but I could not see it. 

Luckily though they kept their faith in me, even if I was losing mine in them, and finally today I opened the gold-plated package they had made for me.
On both Saturday and Sunday morning I had seen a wader at Svellet that I had struggled with. I had seen the bird with Greenshank and a male Ruff. Plumage wise I was thinking that the pattern on the back looked good for a female Ruff but the plumage was just too pale and the bill too long for that species. The legs were an orangey colour but as it often the case at Svellet the distances involved were just too great for lots of detail. I have previously struggled here in the spring in being able to differentiate between Redshanks and female Ruff and felt that the choice lay between these two species although I did briefly consider Stilt Sandpiper as a possibility. In the end I concluded with a 1st winter Redshank that was in some strange transition plumage between juvenile and summer plumage although I was never quite OK with this and did also wonder whether it could be a hybrid of some sort.

Today I arrived at Svellet around 10am and the heat haze was already a problem but due to slowly rising water levels many of the birds were closer than at the weekend. I did a rough sweep and noticed nothing exciting (hoping for Avocet or failing that godwits) and then went about counting the waders. 250 Greenshank and 90 Wood Sands were nearly a doubling from yesterday and I saw 3 Redshank. Two were normal dark summer plumaged birds but one was very pale and not quite right and was the same bird I had struggled with the previous two days. It then walked up to a Redshank and a male Ruff and it finally dawned on me that it was neither of these species. It was marginally smaller than the Redshank, although the legs were longer and the legs were more pale orange than red, the bill was finer and the plumage could not be horseshoed into some strange transition plumage. I was not yet any wiser as to what it was but as I kept looking at it and racking my brain it finally dawned on me that Lesser Yellowlegs was the best option. Because of the distance and heat haze I was just not able to see enough plumage characters to nail it and realised I need to see the bird fly. This meant waiting (with an impatient dog pulling on the lead) but finally an unseen raptor put everything up and I clinched it – there was no white in the wing or on the back and just a white rump. Size ruled out Greater Yellowlegs or Wood Sandpiper which also look similar in flight so I was able to put the news out.

Quite a few people arrived (also people who like me had gone through the waders at Svellet at the weekend without identifying it) and got a new county tick or lifer. A togger even turned up without bins or a scope (had obviously not been to Svellet before) and pointed the camera at the closest wader and wondered if that was the one. It was a Wood Sandpiper but that apparently was also a tick -two for the price of one…..

My photos are not even record shots although I do have a couple of flight shots that might be of use but I have a video that is a bit better. Lots of other people have seen it during the afternoon and evening so hopefully some record shots will surface as I hate writing descriptions 😉

this picture is taken with a 150mm but shows the distance involved. The mudflats create a terrible heat haze


this flight shot shows Greenshank, Greenshank, Lesser Yellowlegs, male Ruff (I presume) & Redshank.
The dark wings and white going up the back can be seen on the Greenshank and the white on the back & the wings can be seen on the Redshank whereas the Lesser Yellowlegs has dark wings and just white on the rump....

Greenshank (gluttsnipe) left and Lesser Yellowlegs (gulbeinsnipe) right


the Yellowlegs on the left this time

No comments:

Post a Comment