Saturday 21 March 2020

One-toe Three-toe still going strong


In these Corona times it is difficult to avoid people when in the Dale. Everyone seems to be fleeing the city to walk in the countryside and there are traffic jams on the dead-end road into the Dale. I luckily know of some “off the beaten track” areas and myself, Mrs OB and the Beast had a very enjoyable walk today. We failed to bump into any GGs as I had hoped but did hear and see a drumming Three-toed Woodpecker which turned out to be the famous One-toe Three-toe female who has been here the last two years. Will she attract and hold on to a mate this year and raise young as she did in 2018?

A single Crane (I assume yesterday’s bird) flew over calling. Being so early back I would assume that this is one of the pair that has been in the Dale for the last few summers (but which is yet to breed successfully). That it has arrived on its own is not a good sign as I believe the pair sticks together through the winter. Time will tell.

A flock of 90 Pink-footed Geese heading north was a surprise as they have a head wind now and it looked like they also had second thoughts as they turned round and I lost them heading south again.

One-toed Three-toed Woodpecker




Crane 


Pink-footed Geese (kortnebbgås)

No comments:

Post a Comment