Tuesday 17 March 2020

Life in the Dale


Despite the lake now being nearly ice free the fields in Maridalen are still very brown and unappealing. Despite this I had the first 2 Meadow Pipits of the year this morning alongside singing Skylarks, 3 Starlings, Yellowhammers and a single Reed Bunting. No migrant thrushes have returned yet but there a few Chaffinches and Bramblings around. Very little viz mig to note but I did have a single Grey Wagtail and 9 Waxwings heading north. I also say my first butterfly or moth but too distantly to identify.

Seven Lapwings have now returned which might end up being the entire breeding population - fingers crossed for a succesful breeding season and that none get shot by French hunters next winter.

Amazingly enough I saw a third GG today (turns out to be the original bird I found on 15 Dec and one not documented since 24 Feb). I would love to know the reason behind the long absences between sightings. Have the birds gone for a pre-breeding season wander looking for areas with more rodents where they could try to breed but have not succeeded and returned to the one area whey they know there is some food? Or have I/we just not been looking hard enough?
I saw the owl at 10am and watched it for 15 minutes and it was still on the same well-hidden branch when I walked past at 4pm but had unfortunately been found by a small group of toggers. A bit later the bird had moved out ready to hunt but was now encircled. Respect to them for finding it but it really doesn’t help the owl if you stand in the area it clearly wants to hunt in…

Adder

the male Goshawk from one of the 2 pairs in the Dale flew low over me in a display flight


quite probably the entire Oslo breeding population of Lapwing (vipe). How many more years will they hang on?

this GG was alert because the dog was with me and had the jizz of a Long-eared Owl 



2 comments:

  1. Kudos to the dog for assuming the jizz of a Long-eared Owl! Curious to kow how he did that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is exceptionally well trained!

    ReplyDelete