Saturday 23 March 2024

Hazel Grouse guiding and Smew boot filling

Since my last post I have guided for Hazel Grouse, filled me boots with the Smew which is still at Østensjøvannet and displying to Goldeneyes, watched the great flood subside and been disappointed that warm temperatures and southerly winds have not bought a flood of migrants (this happens every year yet I still get my hopes up too early in the season).

Yesterday’s guiding ended up being very successful but I had to work hard as deep soft snow made getting around in the forest difficult. In the end though we found “my” male who is now paired and he employed his usual tactic of placing himself between us and his mate and giving ridiculously good views.


male Hazel Grouse (jerpe)



female

the male Smew (lappfiskand) was triggered every time Goldeneyes (kvinand) started displaying and tried to impress a female and chase away males















crest raised in display


dogs are a serious nuisance at Hengsenga but the geese seem to be quite used to it


another male Adder (hoggorm) in Maridalen

the markings over the mouth show this to be an individual I have photographed in previous years


No comments:

Post a Comment