Friday 16 June 2023

Birds are back, back gain, back again.....

On Tuesday and Wednesday I had a fantastic 24 hours of birding and butterflying and have a couple of thousand images to go through. I took my note-to-self to heart and remembered that there are a lot of good birds to see in mid June if you travel a bit away from Oslo. Pictures that Per Christian sent me of a displaying Mountain Marsh Runner he found at the weekend were all I needed for a spur of the moment trip. I planned on spending the night (and sleeping little) as I reckoned activity would be highest in the very early hours. As it happened the bird was far easier to find and I was left with a lot of time on my hands. 

Butterflies returned to my thoughts though as it was really hot and sunny and from previous research I reckoned there was potential to find 7 new species. I found 4 plus saw Apollo again and am very happy with that outcome. But birds did also figure and figure big time. I literally stumbled on nesting pairs of what must be Norway’s two rarest species of breeding birds. As far as I know these are the only pairs of these species discovered this year. Both species have long been written off as having a future in Norway but they seem to cling on by the skin of their teeth. As observer coverage is so thin and suitable habitat so extensive there is of course (many) more are out there.

I will come with blog posts with far more information on what I saw but for now here is a little update from Oslo:

Oslo also has its own share of interesting breeding birds. Honey Buzzards and Hobbies are back although actual nest sites are as yet unknown. Blyth’s Reed Warblers have turned up (late) at a few sites and checking out a reported singing bird today I found a nest building pair. This is the fifth time I have discovered breeding of this species and it amazes me that such thinly spread and very scarce birds so easily find each other. An Arctic Tern at Maridalsvannet yesterday was most likely a late spring migrant and mirrors a sighting I had on the exact same date in 2021.

In Maridalen a Lapwing is still sitting on a nest and if the eggs don’t hatch very soon then I think they must be infertile. The fate of all the broods that have hatched over the last 3-4 weeks remains a mystery to me as the birds, including adults, just disappear.

In the garden the Pied Flycatcher saga took a new turn. The male who sang for three weeks non stop eventually attracted a new female and with a fully furnished house awaiting her she got down to egg laying in record time. An egg a day was laid but yesterday I could see nesting material sticking out of the nest hole and the whole nest had been turned upside down with 4 eggs no hidden under material and in the opposite corner of the nest. I can only speculate what has happened but suspect a cat has got its claw through the hole (as has happened once before). I do not know the fate of the female but the male was singing outside and entering the nestbox which does not bode well.

I have also had loads of Oslo bug action but will have to leave that for a separate post. I feel now that I have too many photos t go through, too many exciting observations to share and not enough time (or patience) to do so...


Male and female Honey Buzzard (vepsevåk), the female is at the bottom

now the female is at the top

and here at the bottom again


note the difference in shape with the female having broader wings

and here the male is being divebombed by a Common Buzzard (usvåk)



pair of Blyth's Reed Warblers (busksanger)


with nesting material

this was clearly the male as he sang at the same time


Arctic Tern (rødnebbterne) - presumably a late spring migrant

Lapwing (vipe) still on the nest in 30C. She seemed to be crouching with her wings out and I wondered if she was trying to cool the eggs down

while walking in the woods I heard a sound that reminded me of a chicken. I had a good idea what it must be but seeing this chick didn't quite seal the ID

although seeing mum did. There were at least 5 young Hazel Grouse (jerpe) and mum was calling quite a lot to keep them all together. Only the third time I can remember coming across a family party


Hobby (lerkefalk)

male Pied Flycatcher (svarthvit fluesnapper). Not the garden bird but a nice photo me thinks

Tawny Owl (kattugle) whose presence was given away by the scolding Fieldfare (gråtrost) to its left

after giving up last year the Whooper Swan (sangsvane) have 4 young this year (one was on the other side of mum)

Icterine Warblers (gulsanger) came quite late to Maridalen this year but I think there are way more that normal although the fact that many are still singing suggests not many are paired up. This one sang from an unusually exposed perch

I find the song of Iccy to be very variable and must admit to often having problems ID'ing them with me on more than one occasion thinking I have found a Blyth's Reed or Marsh Warbler but to then realise it was "only" an Icterine


No comments:

Post a Comment