Tuesday 30 May 2023

Dragons and Little Gull

I spent little time looking at dragonflies last year and was unsure whether I would do so this year but an observation on Sunday has reignited my interest. In 2020 an encounter with a Broad-bodied Chaser (blåbredlibelle) was very memorable and when I saw one (only my second) on Sunday I felt quite a rush and fear that I may spend lots of frustrating time chasing and trying to take photos of odonate again this year. I had seen my first dragons and damsels last week but they were newly emerged individuals without any proper markings and this is do frustrating that I did actually there and then decide I wouldn’t bother this year. But how things change and on Sunday morning I managed to identify 4 species.

Birding wise I have got a little more control of the Lapwing situation in Maridalen with 2 birds still sitting and 2 broods (3 and 1) seen although the farmer has seen two more broods.

An adult Little Gull at Østensjøvannet seems quite settled and has shown ridiculously we for some although I had to make do with trying to take flight shots as it zoomed past me catching flying insects which as we all know is beyond me.

adult Little Gull (dvergmåke)



female(?) Broad-bodied Chaser (blåbredlibelle)


Siskin (grønnsisik) - looks like young all alreadt on the wing

adult male

a new brood of at least 1 Lapwing were hanging around this green island (um is just visible to the right)

Greenfinch (grønnfink) and Siskin


and here a video of a Wryneck (vendehals)  singing in Maridalen which has an unusually long song.



No comments:

Post a Comment