Saturday 5 November 2022

A walk in the forest with the dog

Yesterday morning was calm and dry although very murky and a walk with the Beast in the forest beckoned. A film crew had set up in the carpark where I had intended to start my walk forcing me to try somewhere else. I chose a walk that I have done before and thought that it would eventually take me to a good area of forest where I have found Hazel Grouse and Three-toed Woodpecker before. I had only been walking about 10 minutes though when I discovered a Pygmy Owl and I never really got much further. The owl was very cooperative and then I discovered a Hazel Grouse and a flock of Parrot Crossbills came to investigate the owl so I just sat down to enjoy it all 😀

First a short video taken with my phone with the singing Pygmy Owl being scolded by tits and then the owl, the crossbills and the grouse all calling together.


the Hazel Grouse (jerpe) was in the area all the time I was there (over an hour) but was not easy to see - this was the best view I got although the picture sums up the nature of the bird very well

although this is an even more typical view..

Parrot Crossbills (furukorsnebb)


I was watching them on top of this tree and then just after I put the camera down the owl flew in


The Pygmy Owl (spurveugle) in a damp forest






the flash helped

No comments:

Post a Comment