Thursday 26 May 2022

Close views of Temminck's Stint

I had high expectation yesterday (but then again when don’t I?). A combination of a fresh southerly wind and rain showers meant there could be seabirds, shorebirds, raptors and who knows what. I was not sure where to go in the time I had available. Should I be unfaithful to the Dale? Should I visit Svellet? Or what about the fjord for seabirds and if so where? In the end circumstances meant I had to stay close to home so chose to look over the fjord from Fornebu. I was thinking skuas, scarce terns and the like but after 30 minutes had to accept that wasn’t happening although 4 Red-throated Divers did migrate purposefully north.

Storøykilen was equally devoid of interesting waders (it is time for a Broad-billed Sandpiper) although my first Rosefinch of the year sang and when I finally saw it it was a 2cy male. A Cuckoo also sang.

So, it was time to head for Maridalen and she was as expected good to me. The waders that arrived in the rain on Tuesday were still present and the Temminck’s Stints showed REALLY well. A singe vocal Little Ringed Plover was also present but I think that the (2?) pairs that were previously nest scraping have now moved on to pastures new (but why?). The 3 Lapwings were still sitting on their nests whilst others were around the lake shore (although I didn’t check out where the young are).

A male Red-backed Shrike was my first of the year and singing which I don’t hear often. With luck we will have another good breeding season for this species which is one of my absolute favourites. A Cuckoo here didn’t sing and was I believe a female and for once I saw it albeit distantly.

I was able to fit in a short trip to Østensjøvannet just after it stopped raining and about 250 Swifts were hawking along with swallows but once again I failed to pick out the rare that I was sure would be amongst them. Whilst there I received a message that someone was sure they were listening to a Thrush Nightingale along Akerselva close to Maridalen – well I had to check that out and sure enough it started singing very close to me. Seeing it was something else but I did get some glimpses through the foliage. This is only my third record of this species in Oslo and the first urban bird. 

close up of a Temminck's Stint













size comparison with Redshank (rødstilk) and Lapwing (vipe) - they are TINY!


and a video where you can hear the Thrush Nightingale (nattergal)



my first Red-backed Shrike (tornskate) of the year in a favoured tree






female? Cuckoo (gjøk) in Maridalen

Garden Warbler (hagesanger)

my first Small Copper (ildgullvinge) of the year

a ringed Reed Warbler (rørsanger) at Fornebu - thr ring looked very new and shiny but I do not know if any have been ringed there this year


Willow Warbler (løvsanger)

No comments:

Post a Comment