Sunday 18 April 2021

Garganey

Garganey has always been my favourite dabbling duck. It is a beautifully plumaged bird although in a subtle way; it is scarce which always increases ones interest in a bird and I was always fascinated by the fact that in Britain, at least, it was the only duck that was a summer visitor whereas most of the other ducks I saw were primarily winter visitors.

When one was found on a small pond on a golf course on Friday evening I hoped it would stay until the next day and when I heard it was still present I hatched a plan to visit it in the evening when I thought it would be nice warm light. The only problem with this plan was that such a bird risked being swamped by photographers and pushed off. Surprisingly though there seemed to be little interest in it – maybe its beauty is so subtle that it is only a birder’s bird. When I arrived though I was unable to find it and after checking all the ponds on the golf course which held Teal, Goldeneye, Moorhen and Coot I decided to check the large pond again. No joy but then it flew in with 4 Teal and seemed to have come from a small stream (which I hadn’t checked) where some dog walkers were.

After that we had over half an hour of fantastic views when it fed at close range. It was frequently chased by the local male Coot which led to it flying short distances and giving me the chance to practice my flight photography – a skill I have yet to master. The results are promising though… 😊

Earlier in the day a walk in Maridalen revealed a flyover adult White-tailed Eagle – will this species one day breed in Oslo?

I am writing this on Sunday morning whilst the others sleep having chosen to go through yesterday’s photos rather than visit the Dale. If I had visited the Dale I may well have seen Red Kite which was seen to the east and flying in the direction of the Dale. Maybe the lesson there is take fewer pictures and bird more - or to put it more bluntly be more birder and less togger 😂

male Garganey (knekkand) - one of my better flight photographs

the cause of it flying was this territorial male Coot (sothøne)


golf course










with a female Goldeneye (kvinand)




I became a bit obsessed with taking photos with the reflection of the red pole..










my first frog of the year

I'm not sure what long legged bird this Sparrowhawk (spurvehauk) has caught

and first Camberwell Beauty (sørgekåpe) of the year

adult White-tailed Eagle (havørn) over Maridalen. Presumably a non breeded but a bird that is looking to find a suitable territory. Seems to be ringed

No comments:

Post a Comment