Sunday 7 March 2021

Best OWL day in Oslo EVER!

With a title like that I am raising expectations and this post may well end up being my longest ever but please bear with me as Friday was a day to be remembered in the annals of Oslo Birding.

I hadn’t intended to do much birding in the day. My plan was to go out owling again in the evening and I just intended to go out for a short reconnaissance trip in the middle of the day to better understand the lay of the land and see if there were any paths into the forest where we had heard the Tengmalm’s on Wednesday night. Quite soon after leaving the car my chosen (new) path became an ice rink on a downward 20 degree slope and I was forced to leave this path and go through the softer snow in the forest. I just started wandering and enjoying the work out (walking through snow quickly brings on a sweat). I ended up where we had heard the owl on Wednesday (but not by a route I would attempt in the dark) and searched for nest holes. There were few trees that were large enough for a Black Woodpecker hole but I did eventually find a large pine with a fair sized hole (not entirely sure who had made it as it did not look like a typical Black ‘pecker hole). Scraping on the tree did not result in a head sticking out but some white droppings on the bark of the tree suggested that a bird had spent time here.

I contented myself that I had found a possible nest hole and was looking forward to an evening’s listening. Heading back towards the car I decided to play the song of Pygmy Owl to aid me in determining the boundaries of the Pygmy Owl territory in the area. What happened next was not what I expected in a month of Sundays – a (the) Tengmalm’s Owl sang in the middle of the day and from only ca.200m away! This was madness 😊

I made my way towards the sound and played Pygmy Owl again. This resulted in a Pygmy answering and then later the Tengmalm’s sang probably in response to the real Pygmy. I tried to ignore the Pygmy (I had after all filled my boots just a couple of days ago) and set about looking for possible nest sites for Tengmalm’s as my reasoning was that the bird would be right next to a nest hole (I know of no nest boxes in the area). Problem was that the forest was young and none of the trees were suitably large for a Black Wood hole. I therefore changed tactic and started looking for a small lump in a tree and straight away I noticed one!!! There it was - a Tengmalm’s Owl perched on a branch about 5 metres above me. My footprints showed I had previously walked underneath it and that gave me confidence that it was not going to be too bothered by my presence. It was a bit obscured by twigs but I found an angle and kneeled down in the snow to study it. He also wanted to study me and was staring into my soul to start with. Then and probably as a result of my presence he sang again. Insane!!! I was able to film some of it on my phone and although the image is small and quality poor you can see the throat vibrating!!!

After this he started ignoring me and snoozed off until a couple of Great Tits discovered him but even their scolding calls did not cause him too much annoyance and they soon moved off. I saw droppings on the bark of the tree that matched those I had seen earlier and there was also a single pellet. Dissecting this at home and posting the picture on FB shows that he had recently eaten a Bank Vole (klatremus).

It really was time for me to head home but I did want to see the Pygmy Owls again. One had been calling only 50 meters away and when I got there a quick burst of playback caused a bird to sing. Subsequent observations revealed this to be the female giving a call that Sound Approach describe as “frustration hooting”. She kept on going and the then the male started giving his song from nearby. This excited the female and I suspected that I may witness some interaction between the two. The female was very close to me (she had previously flown at my head) and I wanted to film her calling. My phone had only 1% battery left so I chose to hand hold the bazooka. As will be seen this was not very successful and when the male called from much closer and the female started trilling I thought that I needed to switch to still photos if I were to record anything. The result was that I recorded nothing but I did watch mating Pygmy Owls at eye level just 5 metres from me. I was kicking myself as I am sure this has been recorded very infrequently. On the other hand though I was happy that I had seen it and had now confirmed that this pair are established in this area which makes locating the nest later in the season easier.

My luck was not out though. About 10 minutes later the female gave her “frustration hooting” again and the male responded. I stood between the two and decided to use up the rest of the battery on the phone and started filming to record the songs. The female flew in and perched behind me and again I sensed that love was in the air. In these situations where time is of the essence if one is to digitally record the behaviour I always seem to panic a bit. I switched to the bazooka (the superzoom was stupidly in the car) and started filming the female again. As she started getting more excited I panicked and switched to still photos. This wasn’t an entirely wrong decision as I did manage to record the act for prosperity but with a shutter speed of only 1/320 sec it was not as sharp as I would like but these sort of love scenes are often filmed in soft focus (so I am led to believe…).

 

So, to make a long post short: I found a day roosting Tengmalm’s owl for only the second time in my life. I heard, saw and filmed it singing in the daytime AND I saw and recorded Pygmy Owls mating. Needless to say I did not feel the need to go out in the evening.

Going through the hundreds of pictures I took of the Tengmalm’s I see that I got none of it looking at me without a twig in the way. I did take lots of pictures from an angle without twigs in the way but somehow the bird was always looking anywhere than at me. How is that possible?!?

daytime roosting Tengmalm's Owl (perleugle). Only the second time I have discovered one and only third time I have seen one like this. This is what you dream of!


after his initial interest in me faded then he hardly batted an eyelid


here I think a calling Raven flew over







twigs!
taken with the phone - the Tengmalm's was abot 5m up in a young spruce

a pellet I found under the bird

I dissected it at home and Facebook told me this was a Bank Vole (klatremus)

and two videos. The first is taken with my phone when the bird suddenly started singing right in front of me. Despite the poor quality you can see the throat vibrating!




And now the Pygmy Owl action.

this turned out to be the female



she was very aggresive whereas the male only sang from a distance and turned up only to mate with her

mating!

and two videos. The first is taken with the phone and you hear the different songs of the male and female. The second is with the bazooka and records the female just before mating and then has the mating in a sequence of still photos






and a selfie with a Pygmy

1 comment: